Thursday, October 15, 2009

a new countdown

My 30 Days have been down with for a couple of weeks now and it feels great. I've hit the "couldn't care less about you" phase and from past experience, this phase should last for a couple of years. The couldn't-care-less phase doesn't mean that I really don't care. I just don't care about what you had for dinner, what you're doing, who you're seeing, etc. I do care in the sense that I wouldn't want you to get hit by a car or catch H1N1. It's a sublime phase to be in. It allows me to focus on other things such as my new countdown: 10 more days until Cuba!

One of the assignments in the 30 Days was to research weight loss/get healthy plans, decide which would be best for you, and start following through on one. Seeing that I was planning on heading down to Cuba, I figured it wouldn't hurt to actually do that assignment. I didn't bother researching anything; every girl knows how to lose weight in a healthy way, we've been reading about it in women's magazines since we were thirteen.

My current weight is 130 lbs and that's probably not going to change in the next two days. My goal is to be at 120 lbs because 1) my doctor told me I should lose a few pounds to be at optimal health and 2) I would like to lose 10 lbs. I suppose I should say that I would rather lose inches than weight. I've started with small changes that will eventually get there.

I could go on and on with reasons as to why it'll be hard for me to get to my target weight, but let's be honest, I'm not at my goal weight because I'm lazy and I LOVE food. It doesn't help that the cold weather makes me feel like baking more either. Last week I baked three batches of brownies, two batches of cupcakes, and a batch of cookies. Thank god I work in a restaurant and have co-workers to feed my creations to. I am now eating the apple crisp fresh out of the oven. Okay, now on to the list that apparently appears in every blog I write...
Things I'm doing and have done to reach my target of 120 lbs:

1) Increase physical activity
I am now playing volleyball on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. I love volleyball. Yesterday was the third game day in a row that I didn't get hit in the face with a ball. Amazing! What's not amazing? How ridiculously sore I am all the time. It's totally my fault though because I never stretch properly.
2) Eat less crap
I could cut out junk food completely and be a miserable bitch. For the sake of my friendships and mental health, I've opted to just eat less crap. Stop snacking on bread and fries at work and only buy single portion bags of chips and treats if I'm really craving. Eat more fruits and veggies.

3) Eat at home more
I don't have a deep fryer so eating at home helps with list item #2. Since I live on my own, my fridge isn't all that well stocked. I buy things in smaller portions so I can't just reach into the fridge and pour cream into my sauces because I only have cream in the fridge when I know I'm going to use it (mostly for baking and chocolate making). The portion of protein on my plate is smaller than one you would find eating out and the veggie portion is much larger. It also helps me save on money therefore allowing me to go to Cuba!
4) Drink more water
Zero calories, zero grams of sugar, zero grams of sodium. Takes up lots of room in your stomach. Perfect.

5) Sleep
I have a problem with reading in bed and then looking at the clock to discover that it's 3 a.m. I'm trying to get to bed earlier so I have more energy to do the things listed above. I'm way more likely to skip volleyball and grab junk food when I'm tired.

I am super excited to pack my vacation suit case. Must buy sun screen!!

Screw you frost warning!!

Feeling: annoyed at Blogger for the random spacing between the paragraphs of this blog.

No comments: