Monday, September 28, 2009

morning observations

I am currently* on a GO train heading to school from Mississauga. I was visiting family yesterday, hence the rare morning commute to school today. I figured that since it will take 30 minutes to get to Union Station, I might as well utilize the mobile capabilities of my laptop and blog about some things I noticed on the bus and the train. Note that it is a rather dreary rainy morning today.

1) People are inconsiderate
When I got on the bus in the morning, I noticed there were three or four people sitting in the front half of the bus that had their bags and other miscellaneous items on the seat beside them. Not really a big deal until we got to a bus stop that had about ten passengers boarding the bus. The aforementioned riders made no attempt to move their belongings to free up seats until they were asked to by a new passenger. Most of the bags were moved and all was dandy except for this one girl. She rolled her eyes at the person asking her to move her stuff and then moved her book bag and umbrella begrudgingly. WTF? Did your mother not teach you any manners? Were you raised by wolves? Did you pay for two seats? The fact that she was so dim as to put a wet umbrella on a dry seat is another matter.

2) Big man & a little umbrella
I am carrying a smaller travel umbrella today because I didn’t want to haul around a golf umbrella with me yesterday when there was only a risk of showers. However, today’s forecast definitely called for rain so if I were at home, I would have most definitely toted my golf umbrella with me and probably my rain boots too. Now, I am all of 5’2” and a compact travel umbrella almost does the job of keeping me dry, but my feet and pant legs still get a bit of a splashing depending on how hard it is raining. If you are the slightest bit taller than 5’2”, why the heck do you even OWN a compact travel umbrella? There was a man waiting on the train platform who was probably around the 5’10” mark. His umbrella was smaller than mine and he was more than just splashed from the chest down. Now maybe I’m making a sweeping generalization with the next statement, but most people do not enjoy going to work in damp clothing.

3) Going to high school in the suburbs is not fun
On my way to the bus stop, I saw a bunch of teens standing in the rain at a random street corner. I didn’t know why they were all congregated there until a school bus pulled up and they all hopped on. I have always lived very close to my schools. My first elementary school is across the street from the home that my parents still live in and I’ve never lived farther than three blocks or so of any other school until I got to college so taking a school bus to school is actually a foreign activity for me. Then I saw another teen being dropped off at the school bus stop after the bus pulled away. You need a ride to the school bus stop? How far do you live from your school? He then hopped back into his mom’s car and asked to be dropped at the next stop to catch up with the bus.

I hope that these observations are rare. I really don’t want to have to do a morning commute ever in my future.

*typed on the Go train and later uploaded while not paying attention in class

No comments: